Thursday 13 October 2011

Happy Birthday Denis - Footballer Cake

Melissa's good friend David asked me to make a cake for his partner Denis's birthday.  Denis is a great footballer and a player for the Stonewall Football Club, so what better than a cake with him in his football kit?  The last few orders we have had have been for quite simple cakes just with piped messages so I was really excited to do something a bit different that allowed me to be creative. 

David originally asked for a chocolate cake, but after trying one of my lemon and raspberry friands that he pinched from Melissa's lunchbox he changed his mind.  So inspired by this, I used my ever popular zesty lemon madeira cake filled with lemon curd buttercream and fresh raspberries. 

The cake would have Denis in his Stonewall Football Kit sitting on the football pitch.  To complete the design I added his age in 3D numbers with a sprinkle of edible glitter to make it pop.

And here's the final cake:


And amazingly, it survived the journey all the way to London on two bumpy public buses and the train - result!  We delivered the cake to David yesterday morning and he loved it.  I hope Denis liked it too - if you're reading please leave a comment and let me know!

Up next - the making of....

No comments: