Friday 16 September 2011

Yellow rose birthday cake

It's been a busy week in the Brighton Bakery house and I've finally had a chance to catch up with my blog posts :o)

You may already have noticed the fruits of my labour this morning - the new and improved design to this blog.  I'm the first to admit that I'm no whiz when it comes to these things (I'd rather be baking and eating cake than trying to figure out how to use html code or use photoshop with anything other than trial and error guesswork) but I'm pleased that it now ties in with our new Brighton Bakery website branding.  Please drop me a comment and let me know what you think :o)

And speaking of the new website, I'm delighted to say that it's already had a positive impact on our business.  We were invited by Theatre Royal to present our cakes for consideration for their new Parlour Cafe and have already received another cake commission just a few days after the site was launched.

The cake was a standard 10" square cake with some handmade sugar roses and a piped message.  I'd just taken down the order when the customer told me, "it's a shame that the birthday girl is diabetic so won't really be able to have any".  That defeats the whole point of a birthday cake!  Now I can't make any claims about cakes being diabetic-friendly, but I recommended our speciality Orange and Lemon cake which uses carrot, courgette and ground almonds in the recipe.  It is a really moist and delicious cake, but has less than half the fat and sugar of a regular lemon madeira cake.  It also has the bonus of being gluten free which is great if any of the party guests have wheat intolerances.


When I delivered the cake, the client was really pleased.  I hope that her mum Jacqueline enjoyed it too - especially as she would actually be able to eat a slice!

No comments: