Tuesday 17 May 2011

Dan's Mixing Desk Cake - my first commission

A couple of months ago my good friend Chris asked if she could commission a cake for her husband Dan's 40th birthday.  I was thrilled to be asked and naturally jumped at the challenge.  Initially Chris suggested a guitar cake, but when I thought it over I wasn't sure if would be able to make a guitar that would look realistic and not like a children's cake.  So I put my brain to work to see if I could come up with an idea that would both be impressive as a novelty cake plus something that I could realistically pull off and make to a high standard.  Continuing along the musical theme and knowing that Dan loves to mix his own music in his attic studio at home I thought a mixing desk cake would be perfect. 

Luckily Chris agreed and was able to secretly send me some photos of his mixing desk for me to base my design on.  Full details of how I made the cake will follow in another blog, but I was so pleased with how it turned out I thought I would give you a sneak preview of the final cake:

Mixing Desk Cake

And I am thrilled to report that Dan was really pleased with the cake and everyone at the party enjoyed it.  I even had 3 people come up to me and say that it was the best cake they have ever seen, so that was a really lovely compliment and a much needed confidence boost.  Can't wait to bake the next one now :o)

Watch this space for Mixing Desk: The making of...

1 comment:

CraftyBird said...

This is amazing!